Monday, October 24, 2005

Why You Should Train

After a summer of drinking and carousing, I thought it would be a good idea to participate in the Ride for Roses yesterday. With two week's rest from physical activity and an early bedtime on Saturday evening, I was ready to tackle the 100 mile course with corhorts 1 and 2. At the 35 mile mark, we had to decide between the 72 mile course and the 100 mile course. As I've undertained for every endurance event in my history, I sensed the upcoming pain of riding 28 extra miles with wind gusts up to 25 mph.

Despite Joy's protests, we rode the 72 mile course. As I antipicated, the lack of training caught up with me. At one point, I was drafting a 180+ lb woman and was unable to maintain the pace up a hill. What an ego blow. However, with the help of my teammates and a tailwind for most of the final 7 miles, I managed to reach the finish in one piece. 100 miles next year.

1 comment:

joy said...

Impressive, I can't believe you wrote the truth! You could have done 100 though. You aren't even sore today you say.